Dance of Shiva and Shakti
This Five Element Form is a connecting and empowering practice. Its purpose is to enhance the qualities of health and vitality and to promote your natural abilities to heal and rejuvenate so that you can discover your amazing true potential. Practiced at the beginning of each day, the Five Element Form will:
Foto of my teacher Afke Reijenga
- Change your mind’s perspective of your daily activities, empowering you to actively create situations that enhance the quality of your life.
- Physically tone, stretch and strengthen the muscle body.
- Enhance personal health and vitality by creating tissue pumps that promote the circulation of blood and lymphatic fluids in the organs and tissues of the body.
- Increase the volume and quality of the breath which promotes energy and vitality.
- Create a calm meditative state that promotes the release of mental stress and anxiety, creating space for reflection, contemplation and creativity.
The Dance of Shiva and Shakti is a form of hatha yoga. The phrase ‘hatha yoga’ is a combination of three words: ‘ha’ meaning the sun, ‘tha’ meaning the moon, and yoga meaning yoke or union. Thus, the practice of hatha yoga refers to the union of the sun and moon.
Our intention is to encourage Shakti, the moon, to rise up to the embrace of Shiva, the sun. The metaphor of a lovers’ dance invokes the idea of a creative interplay between conscious awareness and divine energy and reminds us to take a joyous, graceful, playful approach to achieving the state of union that is the ultimate goal of yoga.
It connects us to the five elements of earth, water, fire, air, and akasha. The Form uses breath, creative visualisation and healing colors and sounds in a powerful, transformative physical and spiritual practice.
Classes coming up online in February! The whole month of February you can join for free on Wednesday morning from 7.45 until 8.45.